The Dangers of Video Game Addiction
Video game addiction is already a fact because thousands of people across the globe are experiencing this kind of behavior. Although there is no scientific evidence as to this issue being a mental disorder or disturbance, this trait results to a number of negative attributes. It is important to note that video game addiction occurs to people of all ages. However, the height of addiction is exhibited mostly on teenagers. With this being a societal problem, more serious troubles arise. Here is a list of what may happen:
- Individuals tend to be preoccupied with online gaming not knowing that there is a healthy environment surrounding them.
- They lose focus on important activities such as education, employment, daily household chores, personal hygiene and normal eating habits.
- Behavioral problems appear such as lying to family members, friends and relatives. Addiction also causes the individual to be irritable and restless due to inhibited behavior.
- Individual’s social skills become undeveloped due to prolonged periods of isolation caused by high concentration to gaming.
- In terms of physical characteristics, individual may suffer from Carpal tunnel syndrome, fatigue, excessive sweating, migraine and even vomiting.
Video game addiction is considered dangerous especially all these negative attributes appear on the individual. The sad truth is that video games are designed to be addictive so that gamers will invest their time, money and effort on it. On the brighter side, video gaming is entertaining and relaxing for other people. With all these facts provided, it is essential to learn about the different remedies, solutions and preventive measures to video game addiction.
- At the onset of holding a mouse, keyboard, joystick or game controller, it is necessary to instill in your brain that gaming is just a form of entertainment. You have to discipline yourself that you will have to retire from a game after a short period of time and then proceed with normal daily tasks.
- Put video gaming as your least priority. By coming up with a daily to-do-list, you can focus your attention on more important activities that will benefit yourself and your family. You can still insert some video gaming time but make sure that the time allocated is not greater than the time you need to spend for work, family responsibilities and personal wellness.
- Force yourself to play for just a few hours a day and gradually reduce the number of hours or minutes as time days pass by, If you are used to playing two hours a day, try to decrease this by 15 minutes per day until such time that you can perceive gaming as a recreational activity with no addiction involved.
- Spend more time with families and friends and enjoy outdoor activities. You can always use your device for gaming but it is much healthier to socialize with real people in the real world. Talk to your children about having personal interaction and a life outside of playing games.
Video game addiction can destroy all aspects of a person’s life. This habit can definitely be avoided at an early stage as long as you are surrounded with people who care about your well-being. Discipline starts from within. Take note that video gaming is closely related to gambling addiction therefore, just play for fun and use a site for just a leisurely game.