Nutrisystem and Medifast are two of the most rigorous packaged diet plans that you can find. Both send you monthly shipments, usually with added coupons and deals when you choose to auto-ship every month. Both can be very effective if you want to lose weight, but there are some key differences between the two that must be explored. If you’re looking to give one of these plans a try, then keep reading to see which one is the best fit for you.
How severely overweight are you?
Really ask yourself this question. If you only have a few pounds to lose, then both of these plans are too vigorous. In fact, you need to be pretty overweight to give either of these plans a try. Now, say that you have 30 pounds to lose, you want a plan that is cheap and effective and only for a short period of time. Then Nutrisystem is your plan. Now lets say that you’re obese and you need a plan that is geared towards those who are in urgent need to lose weight for immediate health concerns. Then Medifast is your plan. The basic difference is that Medifast is almost a liquid diet, and for those who are so overweight that their health is drastically at risk. If you are not in this position but want to lose weight for appearances and also mild health issues, Nutrisystem is going to work better because you’re eating more solid food and the weight can come off more slowly.
The Main Differences
Here are the differences between Nutrisystem and Medifast in a nutshell.
1. Cheap (as low as $8 a day),
2. You consume 1300-1400 calories a day
3. If you mess up you can quickly and easily get back to the plan
4. You lose 2 lbs/week
5. You can choose from a menu of 150 fresh frozen meals (Nutrisystem Select). Shelf food also part of the progam.
6. You supply your own fruits and vegetables
7. Exercise is strongly recommended
8.Coupons not available through out the year, for current coupons see weightlosstriumph.com
1. More expensive (around $12 a day)
2. Fewer calories (1000-1200 a day). Your body enters mild ketosis.
3. If you cheat, you need 3 days to get back to ketosis and start losing weight
4. You lose weight faster, up to 5lbs/week
5. Food is liquid or solid shelf food. No real (fresh) food.
6. You prepare your own food once a day (Lean and Green meal)
7. Exercise is not necessary
8. Coupons always available, for coupons see DietCouponCodes
A typical day’s menu
So, Medifast is fewer calories and more of a liquid diet. What you’re eating throughout the day are shakes, soups, protein-infused fruit drinks, oatmeal, and one protein bar. These six mini meals keep your blood sugar steady throughout the day. However there is a reason it’s called Medifast, and that’s because your body enters into a fasting state. With this extremely low number of calories you’re sure to drop some weight quickly, but you may feel tired or sluggish throughout the day.
When you’re on the Nutrisystem plan you’re eating a more normal diet, but it’s still packaged food. There’s a breakfast meal, like pancakes, omelet or cereal, then there’s a lunch of often pizza or a light entrée, and then a dinner. What comes with this is also a midday snack and a dessert. People often break these up into a number of light meals throughout the day. So you see, you’re eating more standard foods on the Nutrisystem plan, and much more scientifically engineered foods on the Medifast plan.
So how do you decide?
If you have to see a medical doctor because your weight is so out of control, then Medifast is what you should discuss at your next visit. If your weight is not nearly that big of a problem and you’re looking for a short term solution to lose some pounds, then Nutrisystem is more up your alley. However, it’s still recommended that you consult your general physician before starting any weight loss program.